View Single Post
Old 01-25-06, 11:12 AM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb-chop
Hmmmm, my XT rear derailleur doesn't hit the chainstay on my Stumpjumper...in fact, it isn't even close.
Same here on my Enduro...

Originally Posted by mtb-chop
A properly adjusted derailleur, with a clean (relatively), and well-lubed drivetrain will shift great. One other variable is the cables. Old, dirty cables will shift like crap. People have their preferences, but mine are the Avid Flak Jackets - fully sealed with a great compressionless housing. I've had no problems with mud or ghost shifting.

I vote Shimano with a quality set of sealed cables.
Excellent points on the cable!

I have a MTB buddy that always complained about how sh*tty his bike shifted. He could never get it to shift correctly so he was doing the "old 2 shifts up & 1 down" to get to the next gear. I finally had him bring his bike over (with a 6-pack of course) and we went through it. His RD cable was severly rusted and the housing was so packed with mud that the cable barely moved. I replaced his cable & housing and he was floored to how easy & precise it shifted.

T.J.

Last edited by Tequila Joe; 01-25-06 at 12:33 PM.