Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 04-12-19, 03:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
OK here is my ride report on the CHALLENGE ELITE PRO tubies @Wileyone

I was looking for tubies to put on my team myata....which i didn't anticipate riding a a lot and keeping it for eroica/jheroica type rides so didn't want to go totally high end (will be posting team miyata report, but it is going to get more miles than i thought)
I have used the tufo s33 and tape and decided I wanted to try a bit more supple tire and gluing
This seemed on paper any way a good compromise decent specs 220 tpi and removable stem at ~$30) (now sold out at probikekit
  • Use: Road Training
  • Tire Width: 25 mm
  • Internal Rim Width: 13-15 mm
  • Weight: 295 gr
  • TPI: 220
  • Casing: Poly
  • Flat protection: PPS
  • BAR: 7-12
  • PSI: 100-175
  • Inner tube: butyl
as noted previously the glue and install was really no problem used challenge glue on a clean rim (yes the brass wheel trick works, but there was not much glue on in any case), used by finger in a glove to spread on the rim and used an acid brush to glue the tires.
Using the yellow jersey description puting the tube on was easy Tubular Tire Mounting Cement Gluing Adhesion by Yellow Jersey; Thoughts on a Front Wheel

They are mounted on mavic 330 rims the bike is an 84 team miyata

Ok so the ride (limited miles 5 mile commute this mornign) so ride so far

I pumped them up to 130 psi (I am 267) (note I had pumped them to 120 and they only sent down to about 115 after 5 days....butyl tubes)

Immediately the first and lasting impression was smooth...... these are noticeably smoother that my comparisons. Handling felt good, but don have much curvyness in my commute other than dodging speed bumps in the parking lot and they felt totally at ease there

My comparisons:

Same bike, but Bontrager 25 mm (not fat 25s but skinny 25s) on Mavic Ma40 rims..... night and day difference the clinchers were way more rough and I didn't have them pumped up to where they should be

De Rosa 90/91 Open pro rims and the super regarded Corsa G clinchers (with thin "high performance" butly tires) pumped to 115psi
the corsas are great tires, very smooth, but the challenge felt even smoother.

clearly I need more time to to tell better and durability is over time, but at first impressions I am quite happy with the purchase update down the line