View Single Post
Old 04-13-19, 03:40 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Weak canti brakes on new Volpe

Hi, I have recently bought a new Bianchi Volpe (2017 cantilever brakes model) as a replacement for my Bob Jackson World Tour which got trashed on tour in France last autumn. Anyway, it’s actually my first brifters bike: Tiagra BR-CX50 STI. Previously I have had Avid Single Digit 7 V-brakes with Tektro RL 520 brake levers.

I am really disappointed with the braking power from the hoods. I’d say I have average sized hands and good grip strength. I’ve tried shortening the lever reach (with the little screw under the hoods) and slackening the wire, which was a slight improvement, but no way can I achieve anything close to the stopping power of my old set-up. I’ve been using Kool Stop brake pads for years, but the Shimano Ultegra road pads on the cantilever brakes can’t be making such a difference, can they?

Most of the time you’re just “slowing down”, but sometimes there’s a need to stop quickly or have sufficient braking on steep downhills fully loaded in the rain. I simply wouldn’t trust these brakes on tour.
I’m commuting on them now, but it ain’t good! I’m even considering going back to bar-end shifters and v-brakes, but would have to buy all new components.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!