Old 04-14-19, 02:41 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,035 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
As @Choke was explaining to Jim Merz why Campagnolo always has been and always will be superior to Shimano, I quietly kept to myself that this build was in the works. Sorry Italophiles, but I think by 1997 when this frame was made even Colnago was going Shimano.

In true form you found the last generation of modern era Shimano road groupsets that featured a triple! Excellent. Looks like 6700 for the brifters and RD (at least)? As an owner of same-generation 7900, I enjoy these and think they perform very well. The lever can feel like it's a lot to grab onto when braking, but it seems that geometry change (which I think they changed again on the levers at least in the next generation) allowed for more initial modularity before really clamping down. Not that anything was wrong with 7800/6600/5600, as I've found the sentiment that "the old brakes were more on-off and these ones modulate much better" to be an indication of someone who cares not for dexterity nor anything subtle.

Anyway...Beautiful Colnago! Composition is spot on, as usual. How does it ride?

[oh, and you will always have a friend in the Shimano business with me, especially the Italian-frame-with-Shimano-components business!]