View Single Post
Old 04-15-19, 07:36 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990 Bianchi Mondiale, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA Team Pro, 1973 Holdsworth

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 278 Posts
Cinelli MTB

Never saw one "in the steel". Here's a 1990 ad for a Cinelli MTB. Sorry for the poor quality, it's the only one I've run across.

Gary Fisher was involved with Cinelli for several years on these bikes.

From: http://mombatbicycles.com/MOMBAT/Bik...s/Cinelli.html

1990: Cinelli had some bikes made up but I am not sure if they entered the US market with them. We have a nice example of a "The Absolute Machine" but it came from a wholesale distributor that may have been considering importing the bikes.

1992: Cinelli had Gary Fisher design a series of mountain bikes to be sold under the Cinelli name. These often used Fisher-labeled parts such as head sets (1.25" Fisher Evolution) and grips with Cinelli-labeled parts such as bars and seats. The bikes featured Italian names such as Ottomilla and Argento Vivo and often featured wild graphics.

1993: The 1992 experiment with Fisher didn't fare very well in the marketplace so the 1992 models were carried over into 1993 which marked the end of the collaboration.

Back in 2006 I bought a 1987 Colnago Master Ibex MTB. It was made of special Columbus Gilco OS tubing and had a Shimano Deore XT gruppo. It came with an odd custom stem and pantographed bars. The same model was also available with a Campy Euclid gruppo. I got it as a conversation piece because of the gaudy paint and lug work plus the rarity.

It was the worst riding and handling bike I've ever owned. It rode like a truck on or off road even with 26" x 2.25" street tires at 45 psi and was more twitchy than any crit bike. Living proof that the Italians were late to the MTB party just like Campagnolo - ventures that eventually failed.

I used it as a loaner bike when I had non rider out of town guests. That's why the seat is so high and the more upright bars. Sold it last year for what I had in it.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 04-15-19 at 07:43 PM.