View Single Post
Old 04-15-19, 11:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Has anyone tried tire-savers on their tires? If not, why not? They wouldn't stop all goathead flats but done right, should get most of the goatheads that didn't penetrate fully the first time.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...s/tire-wipers/

Not advocating for Rene Herse, just found this website and its nice picture. (And $18? For a little wire, plastic tube and ancient technology.) We were using the exact same tire-savers 50 years ago, just no color and no stainless steel. Also minus that cute little loop around the throat. They worked very well. So did ones I made from scratch. (I used them on the east coast so I have no goathead experience with them, hence my question.)

You can make your own with 14 or 15 gauge spokes and that tubing sized to be a tight fit. I'd rather have 15 gauge but the tubing and a nice fit would decide it for me.
(I regularly rebuilt mine with the spoke wire after the tire area wore out.)

They are not perfect. They make noise, are a small amount of friction and spray dust and debris over your bike. It is normal to run them from the brake bolts; easy before the short bolts and recessed nuts. Sheldon nuts and a little re-working of the bolt loop with needle nosed pliers solves that nicely. You can also spare the seat tube and BB area clean(er) with the rear one mounted on the fender bolt hole on the chainstay support if you are lucky enough to have one. Aim the one at the front brake forward. Most of the dust you will see will be blow back, not a direct hit. On fendered bike, I used to mount them inside the fender. Not as easy but that did cure a lot of the mess. Other plus - they wiped your fendered rear tire - hard to do savely with your fingers

Ben