View Single Post
Old 04-16-19, 03:43 PM
brs485932

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remove stuck pedal?

Hello - Working on getting my 25 year old Schwinn mountain bike back on the road after 20 or so years of storage. Need to replace the stock pedals and the non drive side pedal is stuck... Drive side came off but VERY tight and could tell there was significant corrosion due to dissimilar metals. few questions:

1: Non drive pedal is reverse thread correct? clockwise to remove?

2: Plastic pedal is already broke... any reason to not use a air grinder to cut the main pedal off the stud then use a torch to heat it up and an air impact w/ impact socket to free it up... seems like the quickest option but not sure if to extreme... I have been watching lots of videos as I work on this project and have not seen any reference to air tools.

3: Thinking about Race Face Chester pedals as a replacement... any thoughts or other recommendations? Just looking to go ride with my son who is very young so it will be parks, remote dirt roads or paved side walks and nothing to extreme. They seemed to have good reviews for the price point and riding style based on some internet research but could easily be swayed... I wear a size 15 shoe so not sure if I should look for something bigger?

Thanks!!