View Single Post
Old 04-17-19, 04:51 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 1,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Lovegasoline
... Air mattresses are more fragile and can be threatened by sharp objects, cactus needles (FYI a friend once suggested keeping a lightweight air mattress like the Neoair wrapped in a garbage bag when used in the desert, he claimed that micro cactus needles are distributed everywhere and work their way into air mattresses contributing to deflation and making detection of leaks hard. Maybe so, but a trash bag seems like too much a PITA), etc.
There is a local farm supply store (Mills Fleet Farm) that has very high quality thick and large plastic shopping bags. I have slit a few of them down the sides so that they are a long narrow sheet of thick plastic. A lot cheaper than a tent footprint, not as wide but is wider than my air mattress. I have used those both inside and outside the tent if I had any reason to be nervous. Sometimes when I have shopped there and did not buy anything big enough for one of those bags, I have asked for one of the bags, they usually oblige.