Old 04-18-19, 10:20 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
I think the answer to your question is a resounding no. While I am definitely not a carbon expert, I have done some digging on the matter in the past because I'm not a 150lb rider and it seems that carbon generally has weight restrictions on the rider where most aluminum wheels do not.
This tells me a few things... carbon fiber has a much lower tolerance under higher weights. which as you can imagine increases your chance of catastrophic failure considerably. That's not to say ALL carbon wheels would have this issue. As there are different ways to build a carbon wheel. But, if that's a concern. Go aluminum.
The second thing my research tells me is that carbon fiber is susceptible to weakening, warping, etc. from heat. So, if you have rim brake carbon rims, even though they make special pads for CF, you're still introducing heat and friction to a laminated surface. Do the math. Disc brakes I believe would eliminate much of that risk though.
While there may be more.. I think these small points really hit at the difference between MOST aluminum and Carbon wheels. Again, there are probably exceptions, but the question was 'generally'.
I hope this helps
He clearly stated it's for his fixie with no brakes...