View Single Post
Old 04-19-19, 10:05 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
The washer is thin, and I will just have see how it goes. I do have a question for you. You stated in another thread that Bikegang was supplying 11-speed cogs. How do you know? For that matter, given a box of cogs, from different sets, how can you tell which speed set a given cog is from? I assume by measuring the thickness, but where? The tooth or body?
In my memory the speed number was written on the cogs. The most important difference is in the leading cog that has a built-in spacer and it was thinner than analogous 10-speed. For other cogs the difference in thickness is more subtle. You should measure the cog thickness at the flat inner region, as teeth have all kinds of deformities. Let me still check at home for the components that I have off the bike. I also wrote that I felt that the most valuable piece of the bikegang kit was the retaining ring for the cogs, thinner than the Brompton original. After looking more closely at the bikegang ring, I realized that it was likely made from a spoke. I.e. you can just bend a piece of the center of a butted spoke to make such a ring.