Old 04-21-19, 04:28 PM
ski4bob

Bikes: 1991 Schwinn 354, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Premis, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport Custom, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1974 Schwinn Sports Tourer and 2017 Niner RIP RDO

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Beautiful Schwinn @ski4bob ! R7000 looks right at home. The red splatter on the blue paint is a really nice '90s touch, and the carbon fork looks natural.

I took a look at the Schwinn catalog scans, and it appears this is a 1991 354, and I only mention that as it is the one model with a seat post collar/clamp, and it's the "entry level" aluminum offering--the "higher level" models still use the quill seat post. I think that I would very much prefer the 354 for this reason. The other two models only seem a little lighter due to components. All that to say, I think you got the best of the bunch. The seat post diameter is still 27.2mm, so it's not like Schwinn skimped or downgraded that or anything else on the 354 vs the other models. 1991 looked like the last year of these aluminum offerings as well--a shame as they got it right, just before everything went poof.

My big question is, what 1" threadless fork did you find??? It looks very modern and very sleek, perfectly matching the R7000 and the seat post, stem and bars!

EDIT: I think I found it! It's a Hylix full carbon (330g or so, which is crazy light) 1" threadless. Great price, great look, and it chops a lot of weight off the front while likely aiding the ride. And for us tall 25"+ frame guys, the steerer is 300mm, so a fork upgrade is truly possible. How much does your 354 weigh now? I would have to think less than 20 lb!
Yes, my bad on the year, but yes, of the aluminums they made before bankruptcy, this was the one I always liked because of the colorway, and the seat collar. Yes, it's a Hylix, I hesitated for a long while before buying the fork. I talked to the seller via email, he said that he's sold over 500 of these with no returns and it meets the euro standards. Now of course any guy selling these might say that, but there aren't many bad things that are said about the Hylix products. Of course any fork may have an issue with a curb or wall strike but, I've already hit a couple of pot holes and every thing felt solid. I will keep an eye on it, although I'm not riding this bike on anything but smooth pavement.