Old 04-21-19, 06:43 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Derailleur hanger thread size?

I was trying to straighten the brazed on derailleur hanger on my old steel bike today, and I couldn't get my Park DAG-2 to thread into it. Was there a different standard back in the 80s? The derailleur is the classic Campy NR that I had put on the bike when it was built. I just figured this was a standard that hadn't changed.

I have a 10sp Shimano wheel on the bike and I can't use the largest cog because the DR hits the spokes. I can see too that the hanger is slightly angled in. It could well be that the old style derailleur just won't work in that cog. For the rest though it works really well. 10sp cassettes and chains shift nicely, and there isn't much space between cogs so the shifts are quick with the downtube friction shifters. Everything is nice and quiet again after lubing the pulleys and chain. This was my bike from the 80s that I had custom built, and my son has absconded with it but brought it back because it got noisy. (I keep telling him to get a modern bike but he doesn't see the need.)