Old 04-23-19, 05:58 AM
stackinBBs

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkblackwell
I bought a Lezyne Super GPS a few months ago and have had a lot of problems getting simple navigation to work reliably. It's a Y10 model, updated to the latest firmware, using it with an iPhone and the latest Ally V2 software.

All I want to do is to load a route onto the GPS, start navigating that route, and have it give me turn by turn directions as I approach waypoints. Ideally it should not need to talk to my phone (or even be paired with it) while navigating (but that's not a deal breaker - just looking to save phone battery life). I don't need any of the other "features," like auto re-routing or seeing text messages on the GPS screen, or even pairing other sensors (I don't have any).

I have auto-re-route turned off (practicing on my commute it did not seem to work that well, and not I feature I need anyway). Also, when I start navigating and am slightly away from the starting point I choose No when it asks if I want to navigate to the start - I'm already on the route and want to keep going. But even if I start exactly at the starting point (and it doesn't ask to navigate me there) I have problems.

My work flow as been: create a route with the GPSRoot web application and fine-tune the waypoints; turn on GPS; run Ally V2 on phone; once they're connected go to Navigation screen on phone; select route; click Go.

Occasionally that works perfectly, and the GPS unit does just what I want, with the first waypoint popping up. But more often it doesn't work at all. After clicking Go I see the top progress bar on the phone say "Saving to GPS" for 10 or 15 seconds, then - nothing. The GPS unit does not start navigating and no amount of starting/stopping recording or anything else I try seems to help. Scrolling through the GPS screens I don't see either the next waypoint screen or the breadcrumb screen. I try cancelling Nav on the phone and retrying, disconnecting and reconnecting Blue Tooth, erasing all memory on the GPS unit, force-quitting the iPhone app and retrying, and every combination I can think of. Nada.

This is most frustrating. Maybe I'm doing something obviously wrong, but I can't figure it out... Any ideas? And if I can't get this to work how do the competitors (Wahoo, Garmin) compare for turn-by-turn navigation? I really don't need any other fancy features, but I want basic navigation to just work!

I really like the Lezyne unit physically - feels good and solid, long battery life, screen is easy to see and read. And when navigation works it's perfect! I just want it to reliably do it's one job!
I have that computer and honestly, that's happened to me once or twice for no discernible reason and in no repeatable pattern. I agree it's very frustrating. Luckily it's pretty uncommon, but I wish I could figure out what causes it to freak out so I could avoid doing that thing.

The only difference in my work flow compared to yours is that I make routes on my computer on the ridewithgps website, download the .tcx file, and upload that to the Lezyne GPSroot site. From there I use my phone to send the route to the GPS. Maybe you could try the ridewithgps site to see if it's more reliable that way? You can build routes on the site with a free account, doing it on your phone requires their premium, which is why I don't do it