View Single Post
Old 04-23-19, 01:10 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
The roads are a mix. Lots of decent pavement, and LOTS of chipseal that rattles your brain for frickin' ever and ever. The BEST news is they paved the majority of the route through the state parks. The last 1/4 is still holey potholed chipseal - unless they paved it between last year and this year. The main roads are a mix. Roads in TX are pretty bad - especially here in Houston because the coastal plain has a million microfaults and is constantly shifting on the sands beneath. There's no bedrock like in good ol' northeastern Appalachia. (I'm actually from and grew up in Syracuse, NY, so I'm familiar with the best part of the country )

Looking back at what you said, and looking a little on the MS site, it looks like the Rookie Team tent is a brand new thing for this year for small teams. Looks cool. You'll need an air mattress or a cot (according to the MS site). Otherwise you're sleeping on the grassy/muddy ground. I would suggest running to Academy Spots or REI and picking up a single person inflatable air mattress.
I did the travel/backpack sleeping bag type pad & laying on a few tables to be off the ground before and IT SUCKS. Last year I got an air mattress with inflator is it's a world of difference.