View Single Post
Old 04-24-19, 07:44 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
You can buy a travel size hair spray for <$1 at wallyworld that will do a few dozen bikes. Dish soap is okay if you live in the desert but it will let loose without warning if you ride in the rain or leave your bike out in the rain. Any kind of oil or silicon lube won't 'set up'. Old dried out or hardened plastic grips won't hold without some sort of sticky stuff. If you do use any kind of glue, don't put any on the bars, just in the grip so the excess doesn't get pushed by the leading edge of the grip and leave a blob.

I'd only use Gorilla glue on grips to prank the next mechanic. I do use Gorilla glue for construction wood work. Its a near permanent product and often stronger than the wood. Once dried, you can trim the excess with a sharp knife blade. My professional wood working friends avoid it completely. It doesn't seem to matter how careful you are, it gets on your hands and turns black and it takes a few days to wear off the skin.
I tried a number of adhesives on this sign and in the
end used Gorilla tape. Stainless steel mounted to pine.

It's survived a Canadian summer and winter with no sign of failure.