View Single Post
Old 04-24-19, 07:55 PM
carfreefamily

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
You can buy a travel size hair spray for <$1 at wallyworld that will do a few dozen bikes. Dish soap is okay if you live in the desert but it will let loose without warning if you ride in the rain or leave your bike out in the rain. Any kind of oil or silicon lube won't 'set up'. Old dried out or hardened plastic grips won't hold without some sort of sticky stuff. If you do use any kind of glue, don't put any on the bars, just in the grip so the excess doesn't get pushed by the leading edge of the grip and leave a blob.

I'd only use Gorilla glue on grips to prank the next mechanic. I do use Gorilla glue for construction wood work. Its a near permanent product and often stronger than the wood. Once dried, you can trim the excess with a sharp knife blade. My professional wood working friends avoid it completely. It doesn't seem to matter how careful you are, it gets on your hands and turns black and it takes a few days to wear off the skin.
I'm giving dish soap a try, since that is what I had on hand. I do live in the desert, so I'm good there, at least for now. I do ride in the rain, but the current plan is to use my newer three speed in the rain. (It's a 1978 Schwinn Super le Tour that had been converted to a single speed when we bought it at a garage sale, and I converted it to a three speed a little over a year ago, which has sent me down this three speed journey.)

I do find that I'm riding the bike more than I thought I would. Is it a vintage item for special occasions, or a venerable multi-purpose bike that continues to live on in daily use. Right now, it seems to be the latter.