Old 04-24-19, 08:07 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
But I'm confused in the PDF you posted the proposal part of the picture say it would Intersects with the Harlem River Greenway. The Harlem River Greenway is on the other side of the river
I found the same thing when searching on that. I think they're referring to another "someday" path on the Bronx side of the river.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Not sure you’ve every explored east from VCP, but there’s a whole bunch of paths and greenways extending east from the VCP golf course lot. I followed Mosholu Parkway, around the north side of the Botanical Gardens, then east on the north side of the Pelham Parkway. There’s even a link over to City Island and north to Orchard Beach. A fun area to explore.
I usually ride into VCP from Mosholu on the 4 train, past West Gun Hill road, and down the bit that's technically the OCA. But I've done it from Botanical Garden MNR a few times, and once from the 5 train - a memorable day when I realized in retrospect that I'd ridden or walked through the same intersection in some 4 of the 6 possible directions without realizing it, before finally finding my way to the Mosholu Greenway. Ultimately I didn't find it too interesting, the part of the Mosholu just east of the corresponding 4 train station is annoying on a large unicycle, as it has a series of traffic lights on a minor upslope where I end up often as not squandering the whole light cycle trying to get back on, but just far enough apart that I feel foolish walking between them. (Of course for any normal cycle that would be a non-issue).

Sometime I probably should try further east; the trap I keep falling into is that I need most of a week to recover from a serious ride, and by the time I've ridden a train for an hour to get up there, I want to get in my miles for the week and not just stop and go like the lower greenway that I can ride to from home. But I might take the smaller 29er up there sometime, it's a lot easier to get on in stop and go, and if there's a stretch where the pavement is perfect (like the Duchess trail was) I can put it in 1.55x high gear and take off; it's just that on bumpy stuff (like the SCT north of Grey Oaks) I have to ride it slowly in 1:1 gear as it doesn't have the stability of the bigger 36 inch wheel...

What would be fun would be being able to go up the east river and cut over to some of the proposed new path and get to VCP without needing a train, but that seems still a few years out at best...

Last edited by UniChris; 04-24-19 at 11:14 PM.