Old 04-24-19, 10:57 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
yeah!

i got most of the stickers off. there's a couple left that's going to take more than a heat gun and peeling on them, so i'll come at those later. here's a better view of the worst dent, plus some weird wood glue looking stuff that's on there. hopefully i can remove that crud without damaging the paint further.

i stuck a rear wheel from another bike sporting a 1.95 tire with really aggressive side lugs on it to check out clearances. the chainstays are at their tightest at 68mm, i'm having a hard time figuring out different tire widths and seeing how big of a tire i can fit in there, but i'm pretty sure a 2.5 will fit, maybe bigger?

chain stays

seat stays

maybe i'm way off on that. anyone know where i can find a rough estimate of actual tire width of different sized tires? i know a lot goes into that, rim width, lug sizes, different tire companies having different standards, etc, but anything would be helpful i think.

the brakes i have kicking around for it are these old avid arch rivals with kool stop pads i took off a bike that passed through my hands a while back

for the headset i would have liked to pick up a used king or something that's gonna last forever, but i have this caged bearing grease guard set that will do for now. the fact that it's sealed up with o-rings and serviceable without removing it seems kinda gimmicky, but hopefully it'll help keep things going smooth and trouble free for a long time.

i also have this deore crankset that i replaced with an old square taper on the same bike that the archies came from, but i'm not sure if i'll be running it or not just yet.

i plan on running 1x10, but maybe with 2 sprockets on the crank - a small guy kept around as a bailout gear - but i'm not far enough along to be making those calls just yet.

and that's about all i've got for the moment. i'm going to start shopping around for a fork here soon, i'll have to wait until i see this upcoming paycheck to see if a new surly's in the works, but hopefully i can make some forward progress in some way!