View Single Post
Old 04-25-19, 10:26 AM
carfreefamily

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Three Speed Century?

The Santa Fe Century is coming up next month, and of course that has me thinking about doing it on a three speed. I am fairly certain the 50 mile ride would be pleasant enough. 100 miles seems like it would be possible, and for some reason, every time I think something might be difficult and taxing, but possible, I want to give it a try to see if I'm right - if it really is possible. The last time I rode the full 100 miles, I used an '84 Trek 520, and I know I appreciated both the extra high gearing, for booking along downhill and on the flats, (I found I could easily catch up to people on carbon bikes, well, maybe easily is an exaggeration), and the granny gear for getting up Heartbreak Hill, specifically, but also the long climb over the Ortiz Mountains outside of Madrid, NM. My questions to myself are, how much would I be walking, (certainly up Heartbreak), and would my top speed be reduced to the point where I would take way too long to complete the full 100. I guess I have to throw in that the date of the century is my 23rd wedding anniversary - so maybe the 50 miles with my wife would contribute more toward marital harmony than a 100 mile ride - this year.

Still, in thinking about it, I'm surprised that Googling "Century Ride on a Three Speed" does not turn up any stories, beyond that of a 90 year old grandmother. Do people on this list do any century rides on their English 3-speeds? Right now it seems "different" to me, but not crazy. Please let me know if I'm verging into crazy.