View Single Post
Old 04-29-19, 03:34 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Hello all

I'm finished with the bottom bracket overhaul and now I want to reinstall the cranks. I've got a cotter press and new pins from Mark at Bikesmith. However I'm not sure how to get them started (since the press won't fit over top). Do I encourage them with a hammer and then use the press to finish the job? I don't want to mess up since those cotter pins are precious.

Thanks.
If the cranks are properly aligned with the spindle, the cotters should fit in by hand and
seat themselves about 1/2 way in. Then use the press (or hammer) to fully drive them home.
Not sure about your hub...
You should back off the non drive side cone and then tighten the drive side cone (finger tight)
Hub adjustment is then completed by tightening the non drive side (finger tight) and then
backing off perhaps a 1/4-1/2 turn to allow for play.
Once installed with the chain attached, the non drive side can be further adjusted.
Ideally the hub should spin freely with little or no spinning of the crank and a little
side to side play of the hub.
It's all a matter of "touch".
Over tightening the hub can mess up the innards...