View Single Post
Old 04-29-19, 07:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Some dogs don't have much of a reaction to OC at all. The nice thing about it though is even if it doesn't work they take it back to their owners!
Have you sprayed with OC pepper spray and had one not stop? I ask because that is not my experience at all. I have sprayed maybe a dozen. Every one has stopped immediately. I've yet to have one continue if hit in the face. None have ever come near a cyclist again AKA "Fully trained."

Taking it back to their owners is something I don't want to happen and if a human is present I try to circle back and warn them. I don't want a small child to touch the dog and get contaminated.

"I sprayed your dog with pepper spray. If you touch your dog it will get on you and you'll need to go to the hospital. I'm telling you this as a favor to you." That usually starts the conversation. "Just hose him off and put a fan on him. He'll be perfectly fine in a couple of hours." and so forth. I've only had one owner out of maybe four or five who continued to put up a fuss. Sometimes the dogs are yelping pretty badly and most owners are genuinely relieved to find that I didn't do something to permanently harm their dog.

-Tim-