Old 04-29-19, 10:24 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Oh yes - I used to get this all the time, especially when I was a younger woman, and especially when I attempted to bike commute in professional clothes (rather than looking like the hot mess of bike gear and social deviance that I go for now.)

Co-workers, family, concerned community members - you name it, everyone thought I was going to get hit by cars and die, get mugged after dark and die, or get too hot/cold (and of course die.).

My usual responses focus on things like my experience riding lots of roads in lots of places, route planning, safety features of my bicycle and gear, and bringing up the fact that people die in cars as well (and the bike might be safer, since there's more room to move.)

My favorite, if I'm feeling snarky, is the hardman response: "Oh, yeah, I've been hit a few times. Two were just a bump and didn't even knock me off the bike. The only bad one was back in '08 when I got smacked by a minivan. I broke a few ribs and couldn't sit for two weeks, but I made it to work on time, even worked part of the day before going to Urgent Care!" The reactions are priceless, and I usually do not get schooled on safety again