View Single Post
Old 04-30-19, 06:55 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
If you slip the crank arms on the axle, rotate them and peer through the cotter pin hole, you'll see the axle flats line up with the hole and it becomes evident that the cotter's bevelled face will mate with the axle flat. You should review Sheldons page and look up a video before attempting for the first time.
This makes sense now. I think that is what I was missing in terms of practical theoryisms...thanks.

Originally Posted by browngw
I have never had a replacement cotter fit a Raleigh crank without filing the angle enough to get a tight fit and proper insertion. If it doesn't want to go, something is wrong . Lots of good ideas here for you to try. Good luck!
These were filed by the Bikesmith fellow, and match the original 1950 cotters. It inserted quite a bit, just needs a bit more before I can get the press on it. I think it should be OK as long as I align it properly.

Originally Posted by gster
The first time I tried to work on one (years ago) I removed the drive side and pumped
the hub full of grease.....
It seemed like a good idea at the time....
I wish I'd have adjusted the left side only, but I wanted to get in there and take a look. I will have lots of practice at any rate with this AG, my parts bin AW, and the FW destined for the Peugeot. Thanks all, I'll update when I get back there this weekend.