Old 04-30-19, 09:18 AM
carfreefamily

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Hello all

I'm finished with the bottom bracket overhaul and now I want to reinstall the cranks. I've got a cotter press and new pins from Mark at Bikesmith. However I'm not sure how to get them started (since the press won't fit over top). Do I encourage them with a hammer and then use the press to finish the job? I don't want to mess up since those cotter pins are precious.

Thanks.
That doesn't sound right to me either. Given the way I end up working, that's a clear sign to stop what you're doing and take a close look. Are the cranks lined up with the cutaway portion of the bottom bracket axle? Are you putting the cotter pin in with the angle toward the cutaway? Sometimes when I'm tired, I forget those essential, simple things. The cotter pin should just slip in almost all the way. The press doesn't really force it into place, (speaking as someone who has used my press on exactly on job, and also as someone who has broken too many things by forcing them), I think it just sets it in place a little more firmly. Everyone else with more experience there feel free to chime in!