Old 05-01-19, 10:41 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I tell you something funny. My wife's parents are divorced so I have 2 set of inlaws. Both sets are filled with hard drinkers/alcoholics who try to pass on the family tradition every chance they get. My MIL weaves baskets and does chair caning. She goes to craft fairs on the weekends and sells her wares. My 2 kids are 16 and 14 years old currently. About 5 or 6 years ago we were at a summer craft fair in the Norther Neck of Virginia with them. It was a hot miserable day. It was already in the mid 90s/high humidity by about 11am. They had a shade canopy set up and some fans blowing circulating air, but it was miserable. My wife's stepfather was complaining constantly about the conditions and hoping that they would close/leave early because of the heat. They closed early at 11:30 instead of noon. We packed up and made it back to their house a little after noon. The kids and I went into the house and started watching TV. My wife and inlaws head out onto the back deck, which has a shade roof and set up some fans. They turn on some country music and go to drinking beer. By then the temp had risen to triple digits. My wife comes in after about 15 minutes because it was too hot. Her stepfather came in after that and asked my kids why they are not outside playing. He tells them it is a beautiful day and they should be outside enjoying it. My son looks at him and says something like, "it's not pretty outside, it horrible. It's about 5 degrees hotter than when we were at the craft fair. You kept complaining at the craft fair about how hot it was. The only difference now is that you can drink beer out there. You couldn't at the craft fair. It's too hot we, are staying inside." The stepfather looks at me and I shrug my shoulders and say, "they're not stupid, they are smart kids." The stepfather goes back out. He sits out there the rest of the afternoon in that heat putting away Miller Lites and singing with Kenny Chesney. He only got up to drain his lizard and make room for more Miller Lite. That was a funny exchange between my son and my wife's stepfather. At least it was funny to me.

Last edited by seypat; 05-01-19 at 11:57 AM.