View Single Post
Old 05-01-19, 12:24 PM
hdkct

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UniChris
Anyone have a guess for the best route from New Haven Union Station to the start of the trail at Temple St (or I guess for northbound, really Trumball St)?

Seems to be about a mile and a half; Metro North doesn't go to State Street on weekends or that would be closer.

Thinking I want to head up on the train some time and do the southern piece as an afternoon round trip up to the gap and back before trying to do the whole thing as a one way ride to Massachusetts.

(Or maybe I finally do Walkway over the Hudson... about the same length train ride, about the same amount of trail, Walkway is probably more interesting but the lower piece of Farmington Canal a stepping stone towards riding to MA...)

Unfortunately there are no good back streets from the train station. But weekend traffic is not bad in downtown New Haven. State St to Grove St to Prospect or Hillhouse Ave will get you into the general area. Trail entry points at Temple Street and Hillhouse Ave are not well marked, but accessible. If you make your way to Canal/Lock Street via Prospect, there is an East Coast Greenway sign at the entry point.