Old 05-01-19, 09:29 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,658 Posts
2019 Barrio Logan GP Cat 3/4 - 4th/20+ Cat 3's, 40-50 total.

Short Version:

I got 4th from the break I started. Frustrated that I sold myself short but happy that I made my goal: 2 more upgrade points. I'm now at 30 and plan on submitting my upgrade more or less as soon as the results are on USAC.org

Long Version:

This local race is a favorite of mine due to the course, which features 8 tight corners and a solid 4-5% grade on the long stretches. Technical and punchy.

With 8 capable riders, our plan was to cover moves and maybe launch a couple in the 1st half, then have me or Trevor (race winner) go at like the half way point. If there was no move with SDBC once we hit the lap cards at 5 to go, we were going to bring it all together, control the front and make sure it ended in a smooth sprint for us. But fortunately it didn't come to that, not because I don't have a good sprint, but because I've been increasingly ambivalent to participate in bunch finish situations for safety reasons. Makes me nervous. Maybe I'm just getting old!

I wasn't feeling too comfortable and despite a good starting position, eventually found myself towards the back and playing it cool. Wasn't really my role to do anything at this point anyway. Before 15 min in I decided to move up. I practiced finding parts of the course that made me use a minimum of energy to get some speed, surfed a few wheels and was back in action.

At the front, I had a couple "green" but talented cat 4's that were doing a great job following my orders, which ranged from "close that gap" to "easy/smooth". As a teammate reeled in a solo move I could feel the pack starting to slow so I put a sneak attack up the left side of the hill by getting low and accelerating my gear to a high rpm, seated. It was clear by the top of the hill that I had a few seconds already, so I got lower, up shifted and squeezed harder.

From here everything just felt right. I was joined about 1 lap in by Jake, local racer and acquaintance, also fairly strong. I guess our race director and coach saw promise in the move so they yelled at Trevor to get up there, who eventually did, along with three others.

Six is about the number where I start to worry about cohesion and cooperation in a break. Really I'd prefer 4 or so committed riders, but we managed to work together fairly well. I knew all but 1 rider in the break, and with 2 CalBike guys (only other cohesive team) and 2 SDBC (including me) I was excited about our prospects. We hovered around ~10-15 seconds for a while which is a little close for comfort, but eventually we pulled out a half-lap, or about 40 seconds. I was feeling strong and driving hard on my pulls, even gapped second wheel a couple times w/o a big acceleration. A couple guys were hurting up there.

Going into the final my head was so fixated on getting fourth place, but I should have been on the podium. I had more to give in the sprint, but instead I focused on beating at least two in the break so I coasted for bits and didn't really squeeze full power out of them except for like 5 seconds. Briefly, Levi (Cal Bike) attacked going into 1 to go, then again, and only me and Trevor followed. He slowed and the break re-formed. Really this would have been a cool place to counter and I had some gas, but again I was focused on not losing fourth lol.

Instead I let Levi and Trevor (teammate) dual it out up the hill, and just watched others chase. I followed the fourth wheel up the climb and just put in enough to pass him after we cleared the last corner.

Takeaway:

I had a total blast racing with my teammates and having fun at one of my favorite crit courses. I'm disappointed that I sold myself short on the podium - our race director and teammates deserve that much. It is much cooler cheering on and talking about your buddy that podiumed versus got fourth. But, I am happy that I executed the race very well and nailed my goal!

While it has been fun this season I feel like I'm ready for a higher level of speed and organization in my racing. This year has been great because I've proved to myself with just a tiny bit more dedication on all fronts, I can be a fast and effective breakaway rider. I look forward to being on the elite team for a short while and long term probably a competitive Masters team where I can apply myself and make a difference. Racing Age 33.

all San Diego podium!!!

Last edited by TMonk; 05-02-19 at 12:58 PM.
Likes For TMonk: