Old 05-03-19, 10:28 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Here's the thing, though, this is one of those situations where literally everyone adult could be doing exactly what they should have, yet a kid ends up getting killed. Parents are constantly having to try to figure out the right balance of being protective enough vs. being overprotective, drivers can only avoid that which they can see in time to react and there's no way to build a bus without blind spots, and kids are just about the most unpredictable beings out there.

We could react to this by trying to figure out who to blame, but I don't think we have anything of value to contribute to that conversation. Where I think it makes sense to have a discussion about is what we can actually do as parents, drivers and advocates to try to keep something like this (obviously not exactly like this) from happening again.

I'm guessing that if I worked at the school, I'd be looking at traffic patterns around the school to figure out how to get kids on bikes and walking separated from the buses, but that's just a guess.
This death would not have occured if the child was taught and the child followed the instruction to always ride with traffic, even when riding on the sidewalk.