View Single Post
Old 05-05-19, 09:02 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Agree on all counts I come from a family of quilters where sewing is an essential skill.

The racks are also sourced for the same vendors that sell bags and there is wide variety in pricing without clear differentiation as to quality. There is a bag side component for the front carrier that runs about $20 and could either be a well cast piece of ABS or a cheap fragile piece.

The Asian sourced, Brompton labeled, bags run about $90 with frame and it would be helpful to if I could get an idea of what gods would be either offended or appeased by the $70 Price difference on the US vendors' offerings.

I am not an advocate of cutthroat pricing but it is not easy to do side-by-side comparisons.

If the difference is there, it is being marketed more by assumption than demonstration.

I had seen Bob's adaptive rack in other threads. It seems to be easily overloaded. Is it up to the loads? Tern has its own take on that kind of a modification and it looks like something that could be easily overloaded and distort the head tube.
There is an Asian metal replacement for the front carrier that looks like it could present the possibility of a similar overload, presenting the risk of easy damage , where a plastic Front carrier would serve as a self-sacrificing connector to the bag frame.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 05-13-19 at 05:59 PM.