Old 05-06-19, 10:51 AM
slowrevs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Drink all you want, but don't encourage others to drink...

Originally Posted by McBTC
No, I agree with you-- opinions on opinions about opinions is pretty worthless. But, the latest science on the matter of moderate alcohol consumption and it's positive relation to longevity, and to the extent to which the supposed relationship believed sort of goes beyond science... which is interesting.
You have quoted a number of "studies," opinion pieces, and proferred a variety of items you might describe as factoids, though others might think of them as assertions, all in favor of "Moderate Drinking."

The only people I know/knew who buy/would have bought, into your "healthy Moderate Drinking program" are all alcoholics, and many now deceased (all of whom died by age 68).

Feel free to guzzle if you think doing so will extend your lifespan or keep you from getting Alzheimer's. It probably won't.

Any real science about causal relationships between alcohol consumption and increased lifespans, can only be carried out on bacteria, animals and insects.

Studies of associative relationships between alcohol use and increased longevity or other "health benefits" must be rigorously quantified and qualified to eliminate secondary relationships and missing elements producing results a study sponsor was looking for, such as "better health through moderate drinking."

BTW, I am not a teetotaler, though I don't drink much any more. Three or four beers per sitting - two or three times a year. Think Super Bowl and World Series.

Like most of us, I drank more when I was young and younger. But there was very little good science on the subject then.

The good science that's now out there all indicates no real health benefits from drinking. Those with financial interests in your drinking might tell you otherwise, but those with no ax to grind won't.

After all, every molecule of ethanol contains a radical hydroxyl ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrox...droxyl_radical ) and provides no nutritional benefit of any kind - only empty calories - and possible cellular damage.