View Single Post
Old 05-08-19, 09:01 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I am a Clydesdale and sweat a lot, so am very sensitive to rain jacket breathability. Two years ago I splurged and bought a Gore Active jacket, which has served me very well: it is waterproof, and is more breathable than any other fabric I had encountered previously. Nonetheless, when the thermometer climbs above 60F, even this jacket becomes too clammy for me. So this spring I searched for a more breathable waterproof jacket and came upon Goretex Active Shakedry fabric jackets, which are made with a two-layer material with the black membrane exposed on the exterior like sealskin.

Initially I bought a Gore Shakedry jacket, which has a racer cut and was way to narrow for my build, even in an XXL size. I then found a North Face hiking jacket made from the same material, the "Hyperair" (and at a much lower price that the Gore version), which fits perfectly for commuting, with the room to add a layer in cooler weather. This jacket is never clammy, even while wearing it indoors, is 100% waterproof, is as light as gossamer, and packs down to almost nothing. I don't normally get emotional about gear, but this may become the exception.