View Single Post
Old 05-10-19, 07:12 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
The way I figure it, I'd have a better chance of success with only two, but who knows? I guess I'd have lots of problems to deal with and that's what is appealing to me. Most of my projects last me a week or less. Here I'd have to modify a derailleur to work with a 1/8" chain, route a cable, do some cold setting to center the wheel and set a chain line, decide on cogs and come up with some sort of roadsterish method of shifting. How about a TT mounted quadrant? It might be a better project than the light weight roadster project I never got around to.
Was the idea of the lightweight roadster to use a 531 or similar frame? That would probably have a derailleur hanger, at least, and probably a mounting point for a shift lever. I had no difficulty narrowing the rear triangle on the Peugeot mixte for the SA hub. Just used a carpentry clamp to squeeze it down little by little over a few weeks. I'm not sure the alignment is perfect but it wouldn't be hard to correct (if I was that much of a perfectionist, which at least with this bike, I'm not). The special antirotation washers for the wider axle slots would be nice to have but don't seem to be a necessity.