Thread: Beta Blocker?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-06, 11:34 AM
BaadDawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I asked my neuro (he is the head of the university hospital headache clinic) re: my concern about some risk associated with vigorous exercise and triptan use and asked him how soon after taking a triptan is it safe to exercise vigorously. He said he did not think there was a problem but would get back to me.

He sent me an email saying he had discussed this issue with a colleague who is more familiar with this topic and said I was right there are some potential issues but that 4 hours seems to be a safe window.

Most doctors are not used treating healthy people, let alone athletes who are constantly pushing themselves.

This would be particularly true for migraine sufferers and their physicians, since many/most migraineurs are reduced to living their lives in dark rooms and as a result of their condition are not the most active population.

Triptans are vaso constrictors and are contraindicated for people with known heart disease, uncontrolled high BP, etc. They are effective and have proven safe if used in moderation, but from what I have read (sorry no sources at this time) vigorous exercise is not the ideal thing to be doing after taking one. I try to wait 12-24 hours myself. I also find I get more rebound headaches when I use them compared to other abortives but that is another issue.

No question they are better than narcotics and most other meds used to abort migraine.