Old 05-12-19, 07:57 AM
fuji_owner

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix ACR 3.0; 2012 Seven Axiom SL; Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
My main point was that a custom bike does not mean better. It's just a different size. Or different options and spec thatyou wouldnt normally be able to find.

Thus isnt meant to denigrate custom frame builders...its both an art and a craft. I just dont believe that, assuming good fit, a custom artisan frame will outperform a good quality mass produced one in any way. There is value in other places...but not performance.

I would assume custom frame builders would agree with that. Their bikes are one a of a kind. Handbuilt. With an aesthetic the customer chose, and whatever odd niceties he wanted brazed on. And, if a customer had odd body proportions, custom frame tube lengths can overcome that problem. But only to the point to make the bike as good a fit as most people have on stock bikes.

Its like having a tailor make a suit for a 1 armed person. It's not objectively better, it just has 1 less sleeve.

Having a tailor made suit is the definition of an objectively better product for the person for whom it's being made. The tailor is not hand-waving, he's taking actual "objective" measurements of the person to make the product fit the person most optimally.

You don't need to have odd proportions to get a custom frame. It's just the question of how much you are willing to compromise on performance or comfort. I might be fine with jeans that are a bit too tight or a bit too loose at the waist (and use a belt). Or I might want to get my jeans altered to fit my waist perfectly. Obviously, the altered jeans would be better. If I could get jeans made for my specific measurements, then that would be best.

With a bike, there is only so much that can be altered and adjusted on a stock size. I definitely see the reasoning behind custom frames, but they can also get really expensive. I got one custom Ti frame, and I can't afford to get another custom bike. I still have 2 cheaper stock size frames that are not as ideal as my custom bike for performance or comfort, but I still love riding them.

It's just as with custom tailored suits, you probably have one expensive custom tailored suit that you like the best, but at the same time, you have other stock size suits of different styles that are cheaper but still look good.

You know, it's funny, there was a time when getting clothes meant going to a tailor who would take your measurements and stitch something for you. That was the only way. So in the original supply chain model, everyone always got custom clothes, and they weren't "more" expensive, they just cost what they cost. When mass production began, that's when they had to compromise because they couldn't make clothes for every single person, so the customers had to compromise/choose between stock sizes.

Last edited by fuji_owner; 05-12-19 at 08:23 AM.