View Single Post
Old 05-14-19, 02:31 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Excellent for sale website! Thanks for adding. Just looking at the first ten posts shows you the variance in pricing. There are some smoking deals and then there are the dogs! It's obvious which sellers simply cannot accept the fact that their tandem has lost well over half its value. Most of the higher-priced models need to come down about a thousand dollars.

And the Aerolite? Laughable! Is that a Girvin FlexStem?!!!! It isn't worth $2k in my opinion, but the seller thinks he's offering a great deal at $4k ("A 50% discount!").

Again, it doesn't matter what you paid for the bike (with awesome upgrades!), it's how it compares to what's currently on the new and used market. The Aerolite is so lame, I wouldn't even take it for free. I'd rather have a bike that I can actually use! Not to be a jerk here, but this ad is the poster child for the delusional seller. Avoid them at all costs! And avoid being one if you want to sell your tandem!
Yeah, I noticed some of those prices, too. Of course, some of those bikes on the lower-end of the price scale aren't necessarily great news for the OP, either, but it does reveal the reality of the used tandem market pretty well. I've seen some pretty nice bikes at very fair prices that haven't been moving at all.

My wife and I just purchased a new Co-Motion Carrera earlier this year, but I would've loved to have had the opportunity to purchase a used bike. Our problem is that I'm tall and she's short, so there aren't many used bikes out there that fall within our sizing requirements. Still, for a couple with closer to average heights, there are some great bikes for great prices out there! Unfortunately, when the time comes to sell any of our tandems, we likely won't get very much for them.