View Single Post
Old 05-19-19, 01:56 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
A few years back, one of the locals that frequented our LBS had brought in a full suspension Yeti downhill frame. It had a light crank in it and was being covered under warranty. I happened to be around that time and they said, "See if you can find the crack." I looked for a good 20 minutes along with others and we couldn't find it. Finally the frames owner pointed out the crack. Sure enough, there was a crack and he got a new frame out of it. This was all done with a bare frame.

If you are considering riding it more, which I would do if there were no obvious cracks or creaks, I'd strip it down and clean it as good as possible, Get every bit of grease and dirt off of it and go over it with a fine tooth comb. I would then take it a competent bike shop and have them give it a once over. Have others look at it too.

I got put down on my Giant TCR by a dog a couple of years ago. The saddle, pedals handlebars and skewers were what took the majority of the impact with the road. It was none the worse for the wear. But then there is Crazy J**** who got hit by a car, didn't pay any attention to his frame and kept riding in his manner, Hence the name "Crazy". Going up Buffalo Mountain one day, the frame gave way. So, it is very very important to look these things over if there has been a frame impact.