View Single Post
Old 05-20-19, 08:18 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeMD
Anyways, I made a crappy video of me making the sound, it does it in different gears. Do you think this is the bottom bracket?
https://youtu.be/gLcL0B1oCmQ
Odd noise. Maybe it's the BB, but I'd expect more of a grinding noise or no noise and roughness when you turn the pedals by hand. This sounds more like a creak which is often associated with the BB being loose. Typically BB creaks are more associated with press-in type BB's rather than the threaded ones Specialized is now using.

If indeed this is the cheapo bottom bracket Specialized stuck us with, what should I do?
Should I complain to Specialized, will it accomplish anything?
The LBS replaced the BB on my Comp X after they noticed roughness in the initial tuneup. If the bike is still under warranty, I'd take it in and have them look at it. The problem sounds pretty obvious, so I would think they would fix it without much trouble, whether the BB or something else.

And any recommendations on bottom brackets, I know Shimano Deore is an easy pick, but I know there are better ones.
Any Hollowtech II compatible bracket should be fine - mine was replaced with a low-end Shimano and while I'm sure it is not god's gift to BB's, it is easily as good as the low-end BB that ships with the bike. If they replace it, you're going to get something that should work fine so I wouldn't worry about it.

- Mark