Thread: Road is Dead!
View Single Post
Old 05-21-19, 08:52 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by zigmeister
Don't see any replies from Florida. All I can tell you, the past 5-6yrs, the schedule has really dropped off. 6-7yrs ago, you could count on at least 6-8 good races/events around the Central FL area, Tampa, up to Clermont/Orlando down to Naples...now...lucky to get 2-3 races all year.

It is sad around C Florida now for racing IMHO. The season was so packed, I would make a point to go to the other side of the state to Lauderdale area for a few races a year that would really good. Not anymore. I would do close to 10 races maybe around the state. Lucky to do just a few now a year. I don't know what the deal is, I know the local promoter has tried different things over the past several years...but it isn't like it used to be that is for sure.
Well, Florida is down a promoter with WAM Events, Keri used to organize a couple of races you could bank on annually (Spring Fling, etc) but not anymore. She also had a rough couple of years with some health issues, so it's understandable why she moved on. And it looks like Tim @ Topview is doing more out of state (50% of his events this year are not in Florida).

We've also seen several race sponsors fold up, look what happened with Tampa Twilight a few years ago where the sponsor basically pulled out with less than a month to go before the race, leaving an NRC event kind of high and dry.

Be thankful for Bill Bone, without him you'd only have Tuesday night worlds.