Old 05-21-19, 08:04 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
I usually go in from Mosholu along what is technically the OCA anyway, what I should do sometime when I get up there with time to spare for the planned ride (as if that will ever happen) is go up the switchbacks at the corkscrew and try following the OCA route with the thought of turning around and going back to the golf house and the Old Put if it's not working for me.
I also come from that side, I take the 4 train to Mosholu Pkwy Station and start there. In this video the rider takes the OCA route around 6:10:
Does not look that bad.

If I were to do that I'd be almost as tempted to take Mclean from the crossing and get on the SCT at Alan Shephard place (I've kind of been enjoying working on my times up that first climb to Mile Square Rd). But taking it up to Yonkers Ave is an option too.
Will do that, thanks for the hint. Will try it and report back.

Overall though I assume if this were a good route people in a trailway (vs gravel) frame of mind would use it when the Put is muddy, but what I mostly hear about are people who prefer to go up Broadway west of the park.
Also, the route is hilly compared to the Old Put. According to Google maps the grades in the park and on McLean/Alan Shephard are about 4% (still not too bad compared to >10% on Caryl Ave ) compared to <2% on the SCT. Maybe this is why people avoid it.