Old 05-21-19, 10:13 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by arbee
Where the Deegan crosses Mosholu Pkwy, there's a pedpath on the west side of the bridge with stairs south of the bridge. The pedpath and stairs were in craptacularly poor condition, then closed for repairs. I don't know the current status. Alternatively, I've bushwhacked my way north from where the OCA, Mosholu Pkwy, and the Deegan meet. Adjacent to Mosholu Pkwy and heading north, there was actually a paved path. Don't get your hopes up. Adjacent to the Deegan, the pavement stops, but a rudimentary path continues.
This section was substantially rebuilt a few years ago. I first rode the Old Put in 2017, and going down the hill from what is signed as an OCA entrance at West Gunn Hill Rd you essentially follow along west of the Mosholu, go under the Deegen, then do an oddball leftand corkscrew climb to the fenced shoulder of a Mosholu to Deegan ramp, presumably where the stairs were. If you continue the corkscrew descent you've swapped sides with the golf carts and are headed to the lake and the Put. But if instead you go west from top you enter a switchback that then takes you east along a newly constructed paved and fenced path along the Deegan (I've not yet tried that but seen it once from the road). This then meets the unpaved OCA somewhere between Mosholu and the Deegan.

It's kind of funny to think how that's all about a hundred yards from the rest area where I used to get coffee driving back into the city a decade ago... But it's not quite fair to call that windshield perspective, catching a ride back in I realized you get a far better sense of southern Yonkers from the Deegan than from the tree-lined Put winding its way between the hills.

Last edited by UniChris; 05-21-19 at 10:26 PM.