Old 05-22-19, 12:57 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I think I figured out what the issue is as I getting ready for bed last night. As an aside I find it amazing how calming the mind helps solving problems. Anyway...

@smashndash I believe you might have hit upon the solution. There are TWO spacers behind the cassette. I put both of them back, but I think I put them in the wrong order. The two spacers look something like this:

I put the solid spacer in front of the notched spacer. This is preventing the cassette from sliding all the way down. I think I need to put the smooth spacer behind the notched spacer on the hub. Then the cassette. At least that is what I'm hoping will solve my problem. Going to give it a try when I get home tonight.
I think you're giving me too much credit here. I didn't realize there was a two spacer system out there. But from some quick googling, I infer that you have a 9/10 speed Shimano freehub:

Notice the notching on the "wall" of the freehub. I believe the notched spacer is supposed to go first and interface with those notches, to turn the freehub into a 10speed freehub:

Notice the smooth wall. The 1mm smooth spacer interfaces with this smooth surface. Then, you slide your cassette on. I'm not sure what you mean by "in front" or "behind". But my opinion is that the order when installing is: notched spacer (with notches facing towards the center), smooth spacer, then cassette. If you have shifting problems at this point, it could be that your limit screw was set when the spacers were in the incorrect configuration.