Old 05-23-19, 06:31 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
We have officially/unofficially adopted an equal price purse policy and have for years. Like above - you can pay 20 deep in the mens and 3 deep in the women's if you want but the pay is equal for the same spots
The bill says "identical". Paying 3 places may be equal to paying 10 places, it is not identical. The lawyers will decide.

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Women make up over 50% of the population. They are currently around 15% of licensed racers. That only happens if they have been actively discouraged from racing. This is a very old sexist industry. It's beyond time for it to change...
Females are a majority in organized sports in SoCal. If you want more in cycling, you take them from another sport. I expect females are involved where they want to be involved, not because of discouragement.

I have tried really hard to recruit and get and keep females in cycling. The female athletes I know don't do it because they want to do something else. It think that rather simple explanation is the right one.

To the bill's overall sports effect...My daughter's team was playing for $20K from Nike, males were playing for $0. There are more females affected in SoCal than males. That is skewed by soccer, and volleyball and gym.

This bill reaches to the $500 mark. It also refers to non $ prize money. Most those SoCal females are going for that college athletic assistance. Again, the lawyers will decide. I expect USACycling Road female categories to get deader than it is, dragging all categories with it with this bill.