Old 05-25-19, 09:03 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Stay in long enough, and you will come to recognize that pretty much every internet forum is the same. Why wouldn't it be? The posts are (mostly) made by people, and while there are a whole lot of those, there aren't really that many unique types. So regardless of the pursuit, every forum will be populated by a series of tropes: the internet tough guy, the guy who only makes snarky/witty remarks, the guy yelling to USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, the guy constantly driving up his post count, etc. But most notably, the thing that gets under the skins of those who have been around a while but still haven't learned to follow the Way of ElsaŽ (that is: Let It Go) the shiny brand new member who just wants to ask a question. It does not occur to them that the same pool of questions has been asked hundreds upon hundreds of times. The just want to know why something isn't working, or how to make something work better.

Internet forums are like a sociological experiment conducted by no one. I often wonder how the online persona meshes with the real-world person. I met a fellow BF member in person for the first time a few years ago, and he made a remark something along the lines of, "You know, you're exactly what I imagined from your posts." I still have no idea if that was intended as a compliment, but I absolutely took it as one. I wouldn't post anything here I wouldn't say aloud to anyone. Some other members? I don't think the same would be true.