Old 05-25-19, 02:45 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
Today was truing the rear wheel (wobbler 32 holes) on my IM and dishing a bit left to create a bit room on right side for a 7 speed freewheel.
Then, I noticed one nipple was not engaging right with spoke wrench - and probably did what is not supposed to do - got a good grip and was able to un-screw it out and replace with a new nipple.
Well, started tightening the nipple and bang. The spoke just failed . Looked at my bin for spokes but I don't have anything with same/similar size.
Stopping tomorrow on a bike shop around to see if I can get a spoke .

So quick question. The 1987 IM Master has Shimano 600 SIS downtube shifters and from web literature, it is a 6 speed.
I can go friction, but not really a fan of friction myself. Is it possible to have 7 speed indexed shifting somehow working on the current shifter (I think is the 6208).
The RD, I replaced with a Deore LX I had in my bin and the 7 speed megarange (34T on big cog) seems will work if I bring the axle all the way back of the dropout.
As I read somewhere in this forum, I will probably paint the white letters on the big cog in black .