Old 05-27-19, 12:56 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Oops, I misread and assumed that you stripped the clamp threads, which is pretty common.

As other indicated, the 6sp ones cost way less and are compatible. The 6sp XT has identical clamps as 7sp AFAIK, I recently bought a coplete 6 sp set just for the clamps at about 15 bucks.

JRA=Just Riding Along
From the industry end it means, "BS"

because I did overtighten it, it just failed on a ride. But it is notoriously soft
yeah, aluminum is sorta fragile that way :/

to clarify, i'm not hard set on having the original type alloy XT clamps. so, yeah...6spd clamps...the steel ones ...would work just fine. there is a set of deore 6spd shifters going for $29 BIN free ship right now. thing is, again, i was originally trying to keep my expense for a fix to a bare minimum to nil. so, i gotta restrain myself...lol!

i think the answer/solution i was looking for has been fulfilled. so, at the point i'm ready to build the bike with my shifters, i'll either go for those clamps wesmamyke pointed out or see what 6spds happens to be on ebay at that time. it doesn't look like my broken 7spd clamp has any satisfactory fix

anyhow, once more, thanks so kindly for all the help, gentlemen.