Old 05-28-19, 09:48 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Northern outer suburbs of Boston - the Bermuda rectangle of cycling That’s a very interesting observation. I live in downtown Boston (Kenmore Square), and most of my cycling is south and west of the city.

I have previously posted a personal so-called “Cyclists’ Guide to Metro Boston,” that partitions the region into sectors radiating from downtown, As an independent correlation with your map, I have described that Northern sector with the adjacent ones as: On my rides up there (without Strava) my usual routes are along Rte 3A, or 38, and are pleasant up until about I-95, and then become rather non-descript. I've been through Billerica a few times, and once up to Lowell.

I do like riding across the sector along Rte 62, and along the sector on Washington Street through Woburn (at the southern edge of that sector) into Winchester.

Indeed though, maybe that sector is paranormal, kind of like Wonderland (as Alice in Wonderland) as your title suggests. For example, @jimmuller who commutes to Woburn. Has posted: In fact, a few years ago I tried to trace his route on an expedition from Kenmore, I described that ride as:
Originally Posted by tsmorr
I rode a bit in those towns when I was living in S'ville. There are some nice spots in Billerica (also worked there, so got to see a bit more of it). The main roads through Wilmington and Tewskbury were nothing to write home about. On the other hand, Tewksbury does have Donna's donuts. If you're road-riding, when you've got Concord and Carlisle or the seashore so close, why bother with other places?

There is that unmentionable mountain biking spot over that way, but I think people like keeping it on the DL or something.
That's a good point, Concord and Carlisle are a web of red on Strava, but then so are pretty much all of the W-towns.
Which MTB spot, Billerica State Forest (just barely inside the rectangle, squiggly lines top left) and/or Russell Mill (barely outside, also top left)? Or Landlocked Forest (bottom left, outside)? Haven't been to Russell Mill, Billerica State Forest was very meh, Landlocked Forest, on the other hand, is pretty nice. Harold Parker State Forest is top right, way outside of the dead zone - it's a pretty nice place.