Old 05-30-19, 04:57 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Hi-I'm replacing the stock handlebars that came with my TCR. I don't like them and decided to get Zipp SL 70 aero handlebars.

The thing is I've never replaced handlebars before. How hard is it for someone doing the first time? What are the things I need to pay attention? Is it worth investing time and effort for something I probably won't do again soon?

For the background, I have Shimano Ultegra hydraulic Di2 groupset.

Thanks for your advice and guidance!
Whats your mechanical experience?

Do you tool on your bicycle/car/motorcycle/dirtbike?

Whats your workspace/shop setup?

Do you have a nice collection of tools?

Do you have the patience for detail?

Would you be willing to fail until you figure it out?

Disconnecting your hydraulic lines, reconnecting and then bleeding isnt really difficult if you are mechanically minded but it might take two or three times before you get it dialed in.

Youll have to do some work with the DI2 equipment as well.

None of it difficult if you are mechanically minded and have the time / patience to learn the systems and figure it out.

If tools are not your thing and you would rather be riding or hanging with friends or family than spending a couple hours working on your bike then bring it to a shop.

If you enjoy tooling and have a good collection of tools then buy a brake bleed kit and have at it.

I enjoy the tooling part when I have time to do it. With 3 teenage girls in the house, I often go hide in my mancave and figure out bike stuff.

If Wifey asks what I am doing... its my male crafting time. They do painting and cards and pictures. I do bikes.

-Sean

PS - The patience for detail is in the bar wrap. Take your time. Go slow. Breathe. It can look pretty good if you don't rush it and take the time to line the tape up.