View Single Post
Old 05-31-19, 08:48 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by belacqua
it seems that Heine's Herse was built in 2011 with superlight tubing--but the tech on it is definitely as vintage as they come. What an awesome bike. I wish I had more specs on it.
There's definitely a BQ issue in my collection that has some specs. Give me a few days and I'll dig it up for you because my memory isn't perfect.
What I remember:
-Frame geometry: around 30mm of trail and steep (>73 degree) head angle
-Rear mech: Nivex (made of pure unobtainium, I've seen two ever, one in a museum and one at Alex Singer shop)
-Front mech: Custom made "suicide" lever-operated. He says this derailleur has several features: the chain rub moves the derailleur out of the way when it needs trimming so it never rubs, and he says stretching down to shift the thing loosens up his shoulders on long rides.
-Gearing: 5 or 6 speed freewheel, roughly 14-28; double crank 46-30
-Levers: Mafac
-Brakes: Compass (basically copies of Mafac "Raid")
-Fenders: Lefol Le Martelé (I think or maybe they're Honjo) with hollow aluminum rod used for stays
-Front rack: custom (similar to Nitto mini rack but probably lighter)
-Front hub: SON dynamo
-Headlight: Edelux II
-Tail light: Compass/Herse
-Crank: Herse, 170 I think.
-Rear hub: Maxicar (late/common style one-piece forged) with special hollow axle that works with a captive wingnut and chainrest on the frame so that you can take the hub out without getting hands dirty on the chain.
-Rims: Pacenti Brevet I think

Think it weighs about 10 or 11 kg with nothing in the bag.

Last edited by scarlson; 05-31-19 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Remembered moar specs