View Single Post
Old 06-01-19, 10:02 PM
RyanAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Yes - one man's 'boat anchor' can be another's 'spirited and lively' ride. I am skeptical about the concept of the average steel bike 'planing' per Jan Heine's observations. Sure, riding one of his Rene Herse racing classics made with paper-thin steel tubes a rider might actually notice this planing concept in action.

But, for the frame/forks that you are considering I think that geometry/fit and tire choice is going to make a much more noticeable difference to you than the actual weight of the frame/fork/bike or the specific tubing used.

Concerning tires, if you want some float I can suggest Mr. Heine's (Rene Herse/Compass) tires. I have the standard casing Rat Trap Pass tires on a bike and they provide a nice, smooth ride. Although, at 55 mm width and 25 psi how could they not?!
Oh I’m with ya on geometry/fit + tires, jlaw. When I mention ‘light’, I’m more talking about feel and handling than weight, and I have no illusions about a steel bike like I’m trying to build ‘planing’. It is curious though how two people riding the same frame can have such different impressions. ‘Boat anchor’ vs. ‘light and responsive’.

Appreciate your thoughts!

R