View Single Post
Old 06-03-19, 06:03 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
[QUOTE=Witterings;20954953]

I've always held back on using the spare tube mainly because they're so much more compact from the shop than I'm ever going to be able to pack them back down to after they've been inflated.

Like most everyone I check to find the source of the problem, work a new tube in and fix the tube at home. As far as putting in back in the saddle pouch, hold the fixed tube flat and suck all the air out. It helps to pinch the tube so it doesn't close off the suction, then use your finger the other way to keep any air from re-entering the tube, screw the valve shut and fold about 6" flat and roll the rest around that 6" strip. If you start with the valve on the opposite side from where you start folding then you should have a reasonably small tube to put an elastic band on. I don't normally check my repaired tubes in water. I assume they're ok.

Once while touring, before realizing the maple tree spiked balls were doing me in, I had 5 flats in a quarter mile and used all the glue in my patch kit and had to make a bee line to the nearest bike shop.🙄